Microbiology TAT and Schedule
Microbiology Test Schedule
- Routine aerobic cultures are examined after twelve hours incubation. Susceptibilities are routinely performed when indicated and are available within 24 hours of growth depending upon the organism. MICs are available upon request. Anaerobic cultures are looked at daily.
- Fungus cultures are examined three times a week and held four weeks before finalizing negatives.
- AFB cultures are examined once a week for eight weeks before finalizing negatives. AFB smears are reported out within 24 hours of receipt.
- Herpes cultures are reported as final at 48 hours.
- Virus cultures are held 10 days before finalizing negatives.
- Influenza A, RSV and Rotavirus antigen testings are performed hourly, 7 days a week, during the infective seasons.
- For the following tests patients must be scheduled at our Tulsa location
(800) 722-8077; or (918) 744-2500.
- Negative and mixed urine cultures are reported as final at 16-18 hours.
|Influenza; Rapid A Strep; RSV||Monday through Friday||8:00am-12:00pm;
|Saturday & Sunday||9:00am-12:00pm;
|Skin Scrapings||Monday through Friday||9:00am-4:00pm|
Microbiology Turn Around Time
|Type of Culture||Preliminary Report||Final Report|
|Routine Bacterial Culture (Aerobic)||24 Hours||2 - 5 Days|
|Anaerobic Culture||48 Hours||4 Days|
|Fungus Culture||24 - 48 Hours||3 - 4 Weeks|
|AFB Cultures (Acid Fast Bacilli)||4 Weeks||8 Weeks|
|Blood Cultures (Bacterial)||24 Hours||3 Days|
|Blood Cultures (Fungal & AFB)||24 Hours||6 Weeks|
|Herpes Viral Cultures||24 Hours||48 Hours|
|Other Viral Cultures||24 - 48 Hours||10 Days|
|Most all cultures are observed daily. Blood cultures are monitored several times a day. Any growth is preliminarily identified and reported on the day it is found. After positive cultures are reported (routine aerobic bacterial cultures) it then takes another 24 – 48 hours for antibiotic susceptibility testing to be performed. The final report times given here are for cultures that are no growth. Only Gram Stains and KOH preps can be done on a STAT basis and must be requested as such. AFB stains are batched daily and performed at the Tulsa RML site only. These are guidelines, some cultures will fall outside these parameters, but those will be the exceptions.|